The requirements to obtain a temporary permit can be found in Section 486.0715, F.S. and include:
- Graduate from an approved United States physical therapy educational program as applicable and meet all the eligibility requirements for licensure under Chapter 456 and Section 486.031(1)-(3)(a) F.S. and related rules, except passage of the national examination. Proof of graduation required by official transcripts.
- Passage of the Florida Laws and Rules Examination
- Proof of medical malpractice insurance
- Proof that the applicant will practice under direct supervision of a licensed physical therapist. A supervising physical therapist shall supervise only one permittee at any given time. The supervising physical therapist must be licensed for a minimum of 6 months before the supervision period begins.
- Temporary permits are valid for 6 months from the date of graduation
For exam dates and deadlines, visit www.fsbpt.org/. The board office must receive the completed application and all supporting documents by the FSBPT’s registration deadline of the desired exam date.
Applicants who have failed the NPTE 3 times must complete a board approved remediation training. Applicants who have completed these additional requirements may take the examination on two more occasions.
Applicant must contact the school’s registrar and request official transcripts or letter of completion be mailed to our board office. Exam eligibility will not be submitted until our office has this documentation. Receipt of a letter of completion will allow for testing only. Transcripts are required prior to issuance of the temporary permit.
Applicant must obtain medical malpractice insurance and locate a qualified physical therapist to act as the supervising physical therapist. This information can be provided on the application.
Complete the online Florida licensure application.
Applicant must register with the FSBPT for the NPTE and the Florida laws and rules exam at www.fsbpt.org.
If applicants have any affirmative answers in the Criminal, Personal, or Disciplinary sections on the applications, submission of the personal statement and supporting documentation can be emailed or faxed to our board office.
Applications are reviewed within 15 days of receipt. Applicants will receive status updates by email and mail and can also check the application status on our website.
Once approved for testing, applicant will be emailed the Authorization to Test (ATT) letter from the FSBPT. This letter provides scheduling instructions.
Applicants who do not successfully pass their examination will have to submit a re-examination application and re-register with the FSBPT at https://www.fsbpt.org/. The board office must receive the completed application by the FSBPT’s registration deadline of the desired exam date.
NPTE scores are received 7 days after administration and are processed within 4 days.
*Any affirmative answers on the initial application to the criminal, disciplinary or personal history sections will require a personal written statement and supporting documentation to be reviewed on a case by case scenario. A personal appearance with the full board may be required.
$180.00 Application and Licensing Fee to Board of Physical Therapy
$485.00 NPTE fee and $65.00 Florida Laws and Rules Exam fee to FSBPT
Applicable fees to Prometric, testing vendor
$100.00 NPTE Retake Application
No fee for Laws and Rules Retake Application; this application can be faxed or emailed