Applicant FAQs

Applicant FAQs

Expand allClose all

How many times may I take the exam?

Any applicant who has failed the NPTE exam three times in any jurisdiction must complete remedial training approved by the board prior to being seated for the NPTE on the fourth time. The remedial training must be taken after the third attempt. An applicant who has failed to pass the NPTE by or on the fifth attempt, regardless of the jurisdiction through which the exam was taken, is precluded from licensure in Florida.

Can I apply for licensure if I have passed the NPTE in another state, but do not hold an active license?

Yes, an applicant for licensure by examination must have obtained a passing score on the NPTE examination within the five (5) years immediately prior to filing of the application.

Does Florida require applicants to take and pass a laws and rules examination?

Yes, all applicants applying for licensure by endorsement or examination must take and pass the Florida laws and rules exam before they can be licensed.

Does Florida recognize the Registry Examination?

Legislation passed in 1997 that would allow Florida to recognize this examination; however, the final determination is up to the Board of Physical Therapy.

Is my score of 132 in Michigan high enough for Florida?

The Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) must transfer the scores directly to Florida before a determination can be made about whether or not the scores are high enough. The scores differ for each examination and the results are calculated according to each individual state’s laws.

If the applicant was approved (education) and has taken and passed the exam(s) but has not received a social security number, will they have to reapply again?

The applicant will not have to reapply as they have already met licensure requirements. Staff will keep their files and upon being issued a social security number, will be licensed.

How long do I have to complete my application?

Rule 64B17-2.001(1), F.A.C., provides that an incomplete application shall be administratively closed one year after initial filing with the department. If your application is closed, you will be required to complete another application and application fee.

What mailing address should my school send transcripts to?

All transcripts and supporting documentation need to be mailed to:

Florida Board of Physical Therapy
4052 Bald Cypress Way BIN C-05
Tallahassee, FL 32399-3255

Can I check the status of my application online?

If this feature is currently available for your profession, you may check the status of your application in real time via our Online Services. You will need your User ID and password in order to log in. If you lose your User ID and password, you can log in alternatively using the ‘Get Login Help?‘ link located below the login fields.

Can I transfer my license from one state to Florida?

No, however you can apply by endorsement. Florida does not have reciprocity with any state; we endorse the National Physical Therapy Examination given by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT).

Do I have to have a master’s degree to be eligible for licensure in Florida?

No. However, your education must be deemed equivalent to a US degree based on your time of graduation.

I do not have a CAPTE approved degree and my credential evaluation says my education is not equivalent to what is required for physical therapists in Florida: Can I apply for licensure as a physical therapist assistant?

To be eligible for licensure as a PTA, an applicant must have earned a PTA degree from a two year PTA program. If the PTA program was outside of the United States, the applicant must also have a credentials evaluation that deems the education equivalent.

I received my first professional degree from a non-CAPTE school, but have since received my transitional DPT degree; do I still have to complete a credential evaluation?

Yes, transitional DPT programs are not entry level and are not accredited, therefore, you must obtain a credential evaluation.

I have been trained as a physical therapist assistant (PTA) outside the U.S. Am I eligible for licensure in Florida?

Yes. Per Section 486.102, F.S, you must have graduated from a school giving a course for physical therapist assistants in a foreign country and have educational credentials deemed equivalent to those required for the educational preparation of physical therapist assistants in this country.

I have received my credential evaluation and have been told I am deficient in professional education credits. What can I do?

We suggest you contact a Commission on Accreditation for Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) accredited university that has an approved physical therapy program. They may allow you to enroll and take the courses through their program. You may visit the American Physical Therapy Associations website for a list of approved schools.

Can I use CLEP examinations to fulfill deficiencies noted in my credential evaluation?

Yes, in some cases. You can use CLEP examinations to fulfill deficiencies for any of the required general education credits. You cannot use CLEP examinations to substitute for any of the required professional education credits.

Do I need a social security number to apply for licensure?

No, you can apply for licensure and take the exam prior to getting a social security number. However, you will need a social security number prior to receiving your license.

What must the credential evaluation include?

The credential evaluation must address each of the requirements outlined in Rule 64B17-3.001. a. A clear and definitive statement as to whether the education is equivalent to a CAPTE-accredited physical therapy educational program. b. Whether the institution is accredited by any governmental agency and, if so, which agency. c. A list of courses in general education and professional education with the United States post-secondary equivalent course indicated. d. All opinions contained in the report shall be substantiated by reference to the source materials which form the basis for the opinion.

What credentialing agencies have been approved by the Florida Board of Physical Therapy, and how do I contact them?

The board has approved the following four credentialing agencies: Foreign Credentialing Commission on Physical Therapy (703) 684-8406 International Consultants of Delaware, Inc. (215) 243-5858 International Education Research Foundation (310) 258-9451